The term hipster in its present usage first appeared in the 1990s and became particularly prominent in the late 2000s and early 2010s.
But there was an earlier hipster movement in the 1940s. Hipsters (or hepcats) in the late 1940s, referred to lovers of jazz, especially bebop. The first hipsters were Black.
Modern hipsters are thought to be conformists who think they’re being individuals. A modern hipster is therefore ironic. The archetypal contemporary hipster is white.
- Make A Hipster Paper Doll That Looks Just Like You.
- Things Hipsters Like, an illustration from Jenni Sparks
- Hippie Slang Of The 60s from Socyberty
- Stuff Hipsters Like, a Tumblr Blog, for anyone who is wondering if they’re a hippie.
- Shit Hipsters Say. You just knew that had to exist, didn’t you.
- Real hipsters listen to Can playing the spoons.
- The Scientific Reason Why You’re A Hipster from The Body Odd
- Look At This Fucking Hipster Tumblr Blog
- Hipster Bars In Wellington. Wellington is awesome. The capital of NZ is also a hot bed of creative talent, for some unknown reason. If I lived in New Zealand again I’d probably choose Wellington. Namely because my hometown is in rubble after the earthquake which, to be honest, we all thought was going to happen to Wellington, given their proximity to known fault lines. But heigh ho.
- ‘Hipster-Ass Hipster Bike for Hipsters’ Promises You a Wild Ride, from Jezebel
- How Do People Afford To Be Hipsters, from Thought Catalog
- How To Know If You’re At A Hipster Wedding, an infographic from Refinery29
- Are You A Hipster? from Thought Catalog
- Flow Chart: What hipsters should read from EW
- The Difference Between Nerds and Hipsters With Glasses from TSP
- Hipster Starter Kit from Lost At E Minor