App Store Description
Midnight Feast is a brand new, original picturebook of 44 pages created especially for the iPad.
This is a story for a wide variety of ages, about a girl called Roya who is excited to stay up late for a midnight feast. For younger readers, the scariest features ship in ‘off’ mode, and can be turned on in the options page.
This story stands up well to close-reading, with notes and activities freely available online.
Themes include: drought, its impact on food security, imagination and escapism.
READ MIDNIGHT FEAST AND EXPLORE ROYA’S WORLD:
Any interactivity in Midnight Feast either moves the story forward, or it exists to create atmosphere or humour.
- Tap the screen to activate character dialogue
- Lots of rub-to-reveal scenes, to expose Roya’s imaginary alternative life
- Randomly generate strange recipes in “Dad’s Kitchen”, or movie titles in Roya’s home theatre
- Manipulate light effects
- hand-drawn artwork
- professional narration by American Matthias Bossi
- beautiful music score, composed by New Zealand musician Chris Hurn especially for this story
- narration plays automatically on each page
- narration can be turned off
We believe young readers deserve immersive, non-commercialised reading experiences even in the digital age, so we will never advertise new products from our main menu or from within the story. A web link to our other storybook app is accessible only from the options page. Links to teaching resources (on Slap Happy Larry’s website) appear on a separate page after the conclusion of the story. Midnight Feast does not glorify or promote highly processed junk food.